Monday, July 03, 2006

getting priorities straight

I went to take out some money from the ATM to pay back my mom for some spraypaint products that I bought with her credit card. I didn't have enough in my account for it, I was broke. The account was empty for the first time in 3 years. I've always been able to at least cover all my expences. I tried to think of what the problem was. I wasn't buying videogames anymore except for that one videogame about spraypainting, dvd's (expept for graff dvd's) or useless junk, it had been a year scince I bought any expensive new electronic gizmo, I hadn't made any purchace over $300 in the last year except for paint a few times, I havent been eating out as much, I just got a raise at work and a bonus for all the overtime i've been doing... hmmm... what have i been spending money on? oh yeah, I bought some paint today and yesterday. Wow that's what it is... paint and tips and cab fares getting to the walls and graf dvd's and markers and inks and rollers and gallons and magazines and books and a camera to take pictures of it all. At the realization that I had spent an obsene amout of money there was the temptation to turn to depair and say it was all a waste.

But was it really? Yes and No, I'm happy with my spending even if I'm flat broke now. Cuz I know most of it went to a good cause. But in the future I'll buy less junk like bombing dvd's, magazines, and books. I don't regret the paint I don't think I ever will but I'll buy cheeper runnier paint next time for the fills. I'm also not gonna get a scanner, scaffolding or that fancy paint machine i've been thinking of.

4 comments:

solnechko said...

man i totally knew the broke feeling this week. it's hard to keep track of expenditures. that's my opinion.

Battle said...

I never keep track of expendatures I only keep track of good and bad uses of money. Which is maybe a reason I'm broke but it's worked for the last 3 years and I still maintain it's still working.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Hey, that's the same system that I used to use, Richard! :)

Battle said...

I think the only problem with that plan is if we misjudge what a good use of money is. hundreds of bucks on pizza for friends (no matter how studious, charming, or good at the bass guitar they may be) is not a good use of money.