Monday, July 31, 2006

Mexico Trip: Day 3

I woke up in the morning and I met Threat (who's house I'm staying at). He is a very considerate host and a very generous one too. I'm over whelmed by his generousity to a comlete stranger, he sent a guy to pick me up from the airport, he's letting me stay at his place, eat his food and use his paint. He took us to the beach and it was my first time swimming in salt water came back and had a big BBQ where Threat talked to me about the roots of graffiti, how he learned, letter style as it relates to witnessing, and what it means to him to be a christian graff artist. In the evening Threats wife Cindy, J one and I painted the "hall of fame" which is Threat's garage. I sketched something really quick and different, lost my tips, and started rushing the piece as the gangster rap flew in the backround. It wasn't going that well, I'm used to painting with one type of can and one type of tip, Threat has three different types of cans and I had very few tips. Not knowing how much paint would come out of the can or if it would come out of the can was frustrating. I spent a quarter of my time trying to figure out what tip would work on a belton can. I was also frustrated because I was really trying to paint very well and step it up a notch here but I was faultering. I began to swear in my head and as three drips came down I let the words slip out of my mouth. I stepped outside and started to pray, I came back and put headphones on which drowned out the vulgar rap in the backround and I began worshiping God instead of trying to paint well. The result was that I was able to finish the piece and I painted alot better after. J one pulled off a sick piece next to me, we cleaned up went inside and crashed on the floor.

5 comments:

Jamie A. Grant said...

Such a cool life, Battle.

solnechko said...

man, i totally agree with you. when we let God use our talents... we just can't take them from him and use them however we like, whenever we like... When we have given him something, He keeps the ownership on them and is so kind to put a stop on our flow soon after we start going our way...it makes us have to come back to him and talk to him again about getting that flow back on...

Aleah said...

Sometimes it's hard to focus on the purpose of our work (or whatever else we do) and we let worldy distractions slip in, but it's good that you remembered God and took the time to focus on that instead of the negatives. It's a really hard thing to do.

Anonymous said...

it's true what Aleah said. But i'm glad your hanging in there. How was the salt water? at least your skin is soft haha. i really am glad that you went back and surrendered your self to God.

Battle said...

yeah I totally agree with you Aleah and Shona.