Monday, June 04, 2007

Kalamazoo Trip: Day 1

So I took a bus to Kalamazoo Mi. to meet up with Cammer and Fasm from my crew gospel graffiti who are doing a mural here on the east coast. On the way I talked to alot of people on the bus a really nice football player, a palistinian who wouldn't give up on the idea that war will solve his problems but, I ran into one peticular individual who was inspirational to me and I think he felt the same way. A 33 year old from Detroit who grew up in a foster home scince he was 9 years (I work at a group home). He gave me a valuable insight into what he was thinking about durring his time in the group home and gave some really valuable advise. We continued to talk and we went through most of his life story he was an amazing person. He's seen some dark times, he was the product of a cheating spouse, he was shot by his step-father at age 9, stabbed, developed arthritis, sexually abused multiple times and abandoned by his family. But dispite being badly mistreated by a pastor of a church he saw beyond the fakeness of a religious intitution and developed a relationship with Jesus. He was the only member of his family to graduate from college (as a social worker like me). His mom (who abandoned him) was sick and he dropped everything to look after her, when his money ran out she kicked him out of her house. He was taking a bus because he was trying to start a new life after being kicked out. The amazing thing to me was his forgiving heart dispite his abuse he didn't hold things against his abusers. It was in great contrast to the palistinian who suffered as much this man but didn't forgive. He was such a great example of overcoming adverities but still there was further to go. He had such little self esteem, felt unlovable and worthless at times. I talked with him for hours and seemed to hang on my words as I hung on his. He said that he wasn't supposed to be on that bus but decided at the last minute to take a less prideful path, he believed God had a different plan for him. He kept saying I know God exists because you are here, I know God is with you I see him in you, I know that God loves me because you are here, I know God cares about me because of you.

3 comments:

Battle said...

I just want to say again that I am completely undeserving of his gratitude and esteem. i am not good only God is good. Because I believe he set up this meeting with our two complementary personality types in an environment he picked at a time where we would be drawn to each other in conversation.

Jamie A. Grant said...

You're so awesome, Battle. God leading us each day, that's how it all works.

Anonymous said...

wow i can't believe that he went through that i wonder if he still is insecure about himselfz/ i think it's great that you did that
you know it's awsome that God uses you like that thats a gift .
love you battle tara