Thursday, April 20, 2006

Mainstreet

I got a call from the owner of the london mural and he wants his wall finished. But he's also been talking to Jenette McDonald who works for mainstreet in london. Mainstreet is a downtown group of business owners interested in making the core of London look better. Anyways he says she's got a pile of walls and a wad of cash set aside for young painters such as myself, paying for thier supplies and time. I just don't want to sell out and sacrifice my message. I've also talked with a few other people who want me to paint varrious things for them. Like this one urban clothing store is opening up and he wants me to do the inside of the store. But really, I don't care about these big opportunities I just want a positive message to deliver to the world. God has been more than faithful in providing walls I hope he gives me the messages for these walls too.

4 comments:

Jamie A. Grant said...

Hmm. Becoming a professional artist is selling out? I can see that point of view. I s'pose a lot of musicians would have a similar assessment if they had the chance to sell their personal work for TV or things like that. I have a similar assessment regarding my worship ministry.

The tug of war between ministry and money is a tough one. For pastors, many churches demand that they work for very little money for the sake of ministry. Pastors that make a decent living are very often accused of selling out and working for greed. As soon as a pastor has a slightly better-than-average car or home, people start to gossip and slander the pastor. That attitude just splits the church, creates poor and burned out ministers and embitters their families.

Since I have personally seen how this ideal destroys pastors, I tend to come at it from a much more practical perspective. I agree that ministry, integrity and art are good ideals. Being able to do it successfully for twenty years while supporting a family, that's another ideal.

I'm not disagreeing with your situation at all. I'm just saying that I have heard similar arguments made to destructive effect before so I'm a little wary, that's all. I do think it's funny that businesses have lined up to buy your services, like you're a vending machine with printed posters. Wow, did they ever get on that band wagon quickly. If there was a chance to sell out, this would definitely be it. :)

Battle said...

It's not the money I'm concerned about it's what they'll ask me to draw that concerns me. If you got offered a chance to sing some secular songs as a job would you take it? Or would you think long and hard about it first.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Ah, I see. "Sell Out" can mean so many things sometimes. Sometimes it means simply accepting money for our art but in this case you meant doing something you might not want to do.

You have a point, Battle. Right now, I'd probably say no if I had the chance to sing secular stuff in some forum. The only non-Christian stuff I ever really do is either in church on Sundays (like during the Easter production with the U2 song) or when I write a song that isn't specifically about God.

So, can I buy your principles for $100.00? :)

Battle said...

You don't have to pay me, I believe in giving to the needy.

On that front the guy's from the store (tha spot) approached me again today. They want me to come in on monday morning with some sketches and red paint. They also said they wanted guns in it too I told them I won't draw them.