Sunday, April 09, 2006

Devotion

There is annother contest at Gospel Graffiti this month to draw the word devotion. I had this idea of using the "o" and "t" like a clock and cross kind of saying like devotion is time with God maybe reading your bible. So I drew a quick sketch (top left) it looked really weak and so I scraped it.




I drew annother one this time I was praying and thinking about God while I drew it and I took a little more time. I liked it and all but it was kinda simple and on the last contest I got dissed by some guy for my sketch (he said he could do better with his eyes closed). I didn't feel like it was good enough to enter so I decided to try again.



The next one had a few more extras to make it look cool so I sent it off to the contest. Then I was looking through some other guys online blackbook and I saw his devotion sketch. It was so good I felt that mine still wasn't good enough and that if I wanted to really show support for Gospel Graffiti and make thier contests look a little better I should really spend some time on it.



And that's what I did, I spent alot of time on an intricate sketch. While I was drawing I thought about what devotion really is and I eventually came up with this. Devotion is not doing something for show but the sacrifice no one sees.

2 comments:

Jamie A. Grant said...

Heh. Do artists generally lack common social courtesy? Is it an artists responsibility to dis another's work? :)

That's some pretty intricate stuff that you came up with. Very cool.

Battle said...

...if it is then... your voice sounds like that lady from all in the family. You know, I guess some people can't get along and other people are just jerks. People are just looking for oportunities to be right, to look smart or appear better.

I've been talking to Just Isaac and he's been very helpful. He's been doing christian music in a pubic forum for a long time and has had alot of experience that apply to some of my recent situations. Like how to deal with all the people with their "critiques" in a christian way. And I've noticed how in music in general there is a lot of talk about "the haters" I never understood why this was but you start to be in a public forum and you will get torn appart.

"get thick skin and gain alot of weight" - manafest