Thursday, February 02, 2006

Paint it Black

Well I started working on the wall I just got (left). I was just laying down the base coat then took a break then came back painted some more and I saw some young kids (16-21) and asked if they wanted to earn some money helping me paint the wall black cuz I was tired, the one guy said yes. So I talked with the one guy he said he really needed the money and I asked him what for. He's had a hard time he got kicked out of a shelter so he's homeless and he's been feeling bad recently so he needs the money to go buy a joint so he can feel better cuz he hasn't had weed in three days. He was so desprate that he went to the liquor store and stole a big bottle of jack daniels so he could sell it but no one wants to pay him enough for him to get weed. We keep working and talking then it comes time to pay him and I said I'd get him something worth more than $20 like shoes or something. He's really greatful but he wants his weed so I try and convince him otherwize. We talked about how I could help him out with something a little better for him, about his life, some of his decisions, a bit about God and he says he's a christian, he fasts and he's been having a hard time recently. Anyways, he got a cheep track suit and some time at a video arcade out of the deal and he gave me his bottle of Jack Daniels which I poured down the sewer. I love that kid, I don't remeber his name but I'll never forget him.

4 comments:

Elyse said...

I like reading about your experiences...I think it's amazing how you can minister to people through graffiti, but also on the streets all the time! :)

Jamie A. Grant said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jamie A. Grant said...

Have I mentioned recently that I'm a big, big fan of Battle?

Anonymous said...

wow thats awsome to hear when i think of it ,it reminds me of how much you have matured since you told me about your younger years.and i can see that when you were talking to the kid that he really needed you to speak to them
i hope that you realize how awsome to know God definatly has touched there lives usung you not bragging or anything it's great
Tara