Friday, February 24, 2006

Attitude

I met with annother owner of annother wall downtown. He saw what I had done on the other wall and wanted to get his wall painted too. I was on my way out the door and just gave a little prayer "If you want me to do the wall then don't let anything stop it and if you don't wan't me to do the wall then don't let it happen." So I meet with him and he seemed all aboard until he saw my sketches. He wasn't a fan, he didn't like what I had thought of. It was strange he said he was a christian and that he went to church every week but he didn't like the religious overtones in my work. He kept hinting at doing the exact same thing I had done on the other wall (a flag, london tree, london knights symbol). So, I put it to him like this: If you let me do whatever I want then I'll do it for free, if you want something a little more specific then you gotta pay for the paint. If you want me to do something I don't like I won't do it. He said to give him a call in a week or two.

I was dicouraged so I walked around in a slump. I looked at other graffiti artists who get to paint wherever they want illegally. I felt discouraged and this homeless guy asks me for some change and I give my typical responce "Are you hungry? Do you want to get something to eat?" He says yes and we head off to McDonalds and on the way he asks me if I'm a christian. I'm in a bad frame of mind so I start thinking: "is this guy going to try and rip me off or make me feel bad for him?" We start eating and the guy tells me alot of stories all really amazing stuff about how God is working in his life. He only talked about two things his life experiences and about evolution (which was what my mural idea was about). And everything that came out of his mouth was just so good. He was filled with the spirit, alive, on fire, passionate, and nothing that he said was even in the slightest way bad. He was an awesome guy and never asked me for a thing, never even hinted at it. Totally changed my attitude around. Reading back through some of my previous posts I get discouraged too much, I gotta work on that.

3 comments:

Jamie A. Grant said...

You lead a fascinating life, m'boy.

solnechko said...

that's kinda neat.

i love it when "the right person" at "the right time" just comes out of nowhere and totally belongs in your life at that moment.

what a blessing.

Battle said...

That's exactly how I feel shona! I was a real sour puss that day. At first I couldn't even see the good that was in front of my face. Reminds me of the sermon at open door a few weeks ago.