Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Piece #8


"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" matthew 11:28-30


A friend of mine (left) has been interested in spraypainting. He's been sketching out letters and I've been helping him with that. I took him out and we did a wall in grimsby. I showed him the basics and passed on some of the knowledge other writers have given to me. We did the fill together chilled in the sun and ate pizza. It was really quiet there and me and Evan just had a really relaxing day enjoying each others company, the art form, food and the weather before we went back to our jobs.

3 comments:

Clinton said...

what were those basics of graffiti that you taught your friend?

Battle said...

soggy grits, I loved reading your blog and seeing the process you use to develop your characters. I especially enjoyed seeing the critiques and getting an insight on the consistancy stressed by your school and medium.

I taught him how to move his body with the can, to keep the can against the wall, to move fast and not stay in one spot too long while the tip is suppressed, that when you do a coat of paint it's ok to do two coats a few minutes appart so there won't be as many drips as if you tried in just one, I taught him how you cant spray acrilic over oil based but you can spray oil based paint over acrilic, when you do a fill you can stop at the end of each line instead of just holding it down to prevent drips, when doing an outline stop at each corner to prevent curves and get a sharp point, pick a few colours from one side of the colour wheel and then a colour from the opposite side of the wheel to make that part stand out, how to fade and shade with the cone of paint, do the fill and everything first then do the outline and maybe a few other things.

Jamie A. Grant said...

Isn't it fun to pass on our skills to others? Teaching is cool, and having someone that wants to be taught is even more cool