Sunday, December 04, 2005

A Time to Sketch


I've been talking to J.one asking him questions and getting advise. He said that I should spend more time sketching. I didn't really listen and spent a little more time sketching but mostly just kept doing what I was doing. J.one has given me advise on the foundtions of letters, what kind of paint to use, how to practise, how to do fill ins etc. Basically everthing I've learned about technique he taught me, I listened and it worked. But this time I didn't listen when he told me
1."sketch something out on paper"
2."My question is, do you spend, or have you spent, much time just sketching out letters? If not, that's important to do."
3."Again, make sure you keep sketching letters dude. "
4." Also, spend more time sketching in your book, rather than painting"
5."and if nothing else, we'll sketch"
6."Paint sprays in funny ways when it's cold out"
The last quote seems out of place but it's all coming together for me. It's cold out and I tried even just painting inside with the window open and as it turns out, paint sprays funny when it's cold out, who knew? My point is that I don't think I'll be painting too much in the winter. So now is a great time to finally take J. one's advise. The moral of the story is... if someone who knows what the're talking about gives you advise - take it.

3 comments:

Abe said...

I look forward to you posting your sketches.

Battle said...

I'm glad you won't mind my blog being a little less colourful. Incidently, I put up some practice wall pictures next to my old posts and there's a sketch next to "Interview with a genius". I've got a christmas present for you coming...

Anonymous said...

thanks for the advice i never knew that sketching is harder than what people tell like when you tried to teach me a sketch everything had to be jsut right for it to work good luck with your sketches sweets
Tara