Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Meeting


I met with the owner (Robby) of the downtown building today for pizza to discuss the use of his building as a canvas. And as I ordered a panzerotti from the waitress Robby asked if he knew her from somewhere... a pause... oh that's right, The Forum (a London strip club) and reached out to touch her hand. A slightly awkward situation for me and maybe for the waitress. He asked if he could ask me some quetions (ironically) and the second was "Why are you so adament about doing this?" a straght forward question deserves a straight forward answer. I told him I believed in God and showed him the religious theme within the sketch I had previously sent him. We didn't talk too much about Graffiti an hour later I was still trying to answer some of his questions about God and theology. He had a question I had never exactly herd before. Why as a loving God did he send Jesus to suffer and die? I've herd "If God loves us why don't all our problms go away?" I explained in a few different ways that the avoidance of pain isn't the most important thing in life and that in Jesus' situation there were more important things than not dying himself (the salvation of the world). I also said that it was Jesus' choice in the end. Anyways, we had a long talk and kinda liked what I had to say but could not tear himself away from his decades old ideologies in that conversation. I think he hates christians less which I think is a good thing. Tacked on to the end of our discussion was a little chat about the wall. He's on board for doing it when the weather warms up. He also paid for lunch.
Win, Win, Win!

5 comments:

Jamie A. Grant said...

Cool. You gave the guy an easy opening and he invited evangelism. And the bit with the waitress was funny, in a dark sort of way.

Abe said...

God sent Jesus to suffer and die because He had to, otherwise there would be no reconciliation, and God would not be God.

Battle said...

Yes that is true. Robbie was from a catholic home and had a general knowledge base of christianity. His interpretation was that God was a sadistic father. But just cuz you don't wrap your kid in football gear when he takes his first steps doesn't make you a sick father.

Anonymous said...

God sent Jesus to suffer and die because Jesus chose to come and suffer and die.

As much as Jesus suffers from being abandoned by the Father, the Father suffers the loss of his beloved Son.

Peace,

Dan

Anonymous said...

i was quite impressed that you answered his questions about God i always thought Jesus had to die to get rid of sacrifices of sheep so there was a new way of life it was out of love and obedience and mercy and grace you know what i mean. everyday people battle with God this helps us to figure our salvation out. Tara white