Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Limberlost meeting

A few people may be interested to know that I've been contacted by an outreach worker from the limberlost community for a meeting to try and bring some positive art into a community that is in disrepair. I was amazed to see how bad it was, there was piles of garbage and it wasn't even garbage day, the garbage guys just don't take it away. The place was full of Graffiti and garbage, broken stuff all over the place I thought I was back in the slums of New York again I couldn't believe this was my city. I talked with the london housing people and they just didn't see anything wrong. There was a guy in charge of maintenence walking around while there was garbage all over the place! I couldn't believe it, the place isn't that big and here were 3 people paid to make the place better and we're standing in front of piles of garbage not doing anything. It was crazy to me. I've herd bad things about london housing over the years of being a social worker but this was in my eyes, pathetic. The person who I met with was not from london housing but was governed by London Housing. She genuinely wanted to make a difference, but it seemed like every initive that was made had to be passed through LH and no one liked to sign off on anything. They had a center that they worked out of that they wanted the interior painted but LH would not send a contractor so they volunteered to do it themselves, they said no. I came up with a battle plan for the proposals and some wording and a few ideas for positive murals then left it for the lady to write the proposals and get approval from London Housing, now I wait and hope that they see that thier neighborhood needs to be cleaned up and there are people who want to do it for free.

No comments: