Thursday, January 25, 2007

The "C" word


"The idea of just maybe 30 people seeing the message was disconcerting it would be like giving the greatest sermon of your life to just one person who really didn't need it. I want the messages of the bible seen by everyone. Not just hidden away and kept for only those who read Latin or visit my Dad's house."-Battle November 05 on the topic of doing...

Canvas. Yes, I said it. I've been hating the idea of it ever since I started doing graffiti. I still dislike the idea. I've been sketching in my books from the beginning. I have this interesting record of my progression of my art through the pages of my five 100 pg. black books. It's been neat to see, every once and a while I flip through the books and remember the good ideas and bad execution. They're my books and I love them. I feel though it may be time to let go of continuing the record and rip some pages out to give to the needy. So I've been continuing to sketch in my books but also rip out the pages paste them together or throw some paint in the background and slap a frame around it. Since I sketch in my book anyways I might as well do something positive with the sketches after. The focus for me is still christ-centered murals on busy streets.


Also at my church they have this continuing art gallery where artists from the church donate paintings, people from the church buy them and the proceeds go to mission trips around the world. At first I noticed a lot of work being done and amazing pictures adorning the walls. Last week however, I saw a doodle that a 7 yr old drew in crayola marker, she stared up at the picture priced at $10 and said "daddy why hasn't it sold yet". I said to myself "The only one who's gonna pay $10 for that is her Dad. I gotta step up here and bring something else to the table". As a semi-profesional artist who goes to this church I should be supporting it more. Hundreds of artists would kill for an opportunity to use thier art like this.

2 comments:

Abe said...

You should swing by the intercommunity health centre and see if they'll let you post some stuff on their walls, positive messages would be a welcome addition.

Battle said...

I'll try to do that next time I'm in town.