Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Boston?

mmm... Boston... I was planning to go to Boston to paint today but, I'm just waiting... wierd, I'll fill you guys in. Here is a selection of quotes about what has happened over the last few months of conversation with a really nice guy from Boston.

"I talked to Mrs. Neely an art teacher here to see if we could work on campus... One thing that you may be interested in is doing a presentation in our chapel... Part of the course is finding a means for expression, which is where your work is perfect. If you can come the 3rd week of May... I have to send my rough draft of this application to our overseer before Tuesday... just wanted to let you know that our project got passed... I have been trying very hard to find you somewhere to stay... I haven't gotten any positive responses... we should probably tell you not to come... I don't think you should get on a bus towards Boston unless I send you another email saying that we have things worked out"

He was trying to get me down to do some painting/ talking/ teaching/ chilling but things kinda (as of yet) haven't worked out. When I was a teenager I wanted to be looked up to - a missionary, a pastor or something where I had attained "perfection". When I got older I realized these people who I looked up to were not perfect. I decided to abandon that superficial goal and instead be real and genuine about my experiences. I feel like I've been asked down to Boston to lead. I've met a lot of followers since I started doing this and it seems they look to me to be their leader at least for an hour or two. It's something that I didn't look for but I'm trying really hard not to be up on a pedestal. I think this is what this lack of trip has got me thinking about. In order for me to be effective I've gottta be humble or you end up leading the people to a place of disillusion. I don't have all the answers, I have some experiences and some personal answers but I don't have them all. If there's any people who look up to me reading this I guess I'm saying "look beyond me".

2 comments:

Jamie A. Grant said...

Ahhh, it's so cool. Oftentimes the best lessons that we learn are the ones we get when we step into leadership. There ain't no substitute for doing it, just looking to reach other people in some way.

Anonymous said...

well... I guess a lot of people have to look up to you, you are kinda tall.

Beth